Friday, June 16, 2006

Disappointing

This week I finally got it together to see a photo exhibit I'd heard about on CBC Radio, Alex Waterhouse-Hayward's Secret Gardens: Vancouver's Hidden Rooftops (show runs till June 24 at the Pendulum Gallery in the HSBC Building at 885 West Georgia @ Hornby streets in Vancouver www.pendulumgallery.bc.ca/current.html).

The photos are amazing, but I was so very disappointed to see that they weren't actually prints on display. Instead, the format was similar to display panels I've had created for community and stakeholder communication events (open houses, town halls). Printed on paper that didn't do the photos justice and surrounded by an incredible amount of text that won the war in terms of distracting the viewer, I'm left frustrated. These are beautiful photos, and I want to see some decent prints of them. I'll read the catalogue later, thank you very much.

For some web images of his work: www.alexwaterhousehayward.com/index.php.

4 comments:

Jaya said...

this portrait of his
is incredible!

Ruth Seeley said...

Indeed it is. I loved this article of his as well:

http://www.artsandopinion.com/2004_v3_n4/hayward-3.htm

Jaya said...

Great article! Here's a direct link:
Wonderful Tubs

Ruth Seeley said...

Thank you! I may have to get you to talk me through the live links process - I think I've tried everything and all of it is wrong, wrong, wrong!