Monday, June 19, 2006

Commercial Drive Festival




I took almost 400 photos at the Commercial Drive Festival yesterday, an annual car-free event held in the city's east end. I was a little nervous about doing event photography, because crowds aren't my thing. I'd love to go to the big national exhibitions like the CNE and the PNE, because I love the rides. But I can't take the crowds, I start to feel quite panicky. I've always regretted not making it back to the fair in Goderich, Ontario, that had all the rides and none of the crowds. Cheap thrills.

Much to my surprise, despite an estimated crowd of 50,000 over the course of the day, the Commercial Drive Festival was a joy to attend. The photographic themes we were trying to capture were Father's Day, community, and what a car-free street looks like. Most of the photos I took were of the children's bike-decorating event, and it was lovely to see fathers and sons, fathers and daughters, working to get those bikes decorated in time for the parade behind the marching band that picked them up in the park and led them to the main street of the festival (Commercial Drive). Not one of the people I asked permission to photograph refused me (and I was very conscientious about asking). Of course, this meant there was a certain amount of posing going on, but I was also able to get some great candid shots. This little girl insisted that her fuzzy toy was going to be the one riding the bike. I guess it's her current favourite. And this is one of my favourites from the almost 400 shots. Five of my photos have been used on www.nowpublic.com already - must keep uploading, must keep uploading.


No comments: