Friday, November 21, 2008

Things I wish I'd said (2)


Looking up, originally uploaded by The River Thief.  Copyright Ruth Seeley 2008.
In the aboriginal cemetery in Nazko, BC.

I am surprised to find that I experience the disappointment of a hope I never knew I harbored.

Louise Erdrich, The Bingo Palace


Stonehenge kept coming into my mind, making me feel our lives are short and small.... Strange how pleasure is sometimes the prelude to melancholy.

Sara George, The Journal of Mrs. Pepys: Portrait of a Marriage

The language that I have now is not adequate to the feelings that I had then.

There is sometimes no reward for patience. If hunger is the engine, life is only either underway or stalled; and desire is just a watered-down version of hunger, a poor copy.

Helen Humpheys, Wild Dogs

No comments: