Sunday, October 12, 2008

Embedding video isn't as easy as it seems, apparently

I'm preparing a seminar tentatively titled Social Media for Luddites (Luddites being some of my favourite folk, of course). It's such a vast and burgeoning field, and unless you really want to be at your computer 24/7, it's hard to really get in deep with all of the amazing software enablers. Erm, perhaps that's 'applications.' I was surprised to see myself described as an 'alpha' flickr user, but had to admit that I do log on to flickr everday, I regularly post photos (when I can download them from a camera, anyway), and I do participate in groups. I've kept my contact list on flickr deliberately small, and the number of groups in which I participate is very limited, although I do respond to invites from groups that ask me to post one of my photos. Perhaps the most heartwarming experience I've had on flickr was an email I got about a year after I posted photos I'd taken (and tagged) at Vancouver's Mountain View Cemetery. A man from the UK emailed to say I'd helped him track down a long-lost relative for the family genealogy they'd compiled - they'd known he'd emigrated to Canada but didn't know where he'd ended up.

Anyway, as part of my research and seminar prep, I'm delving a little more deeply into LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook, and as usual, the Lee LeFever videos are a good place to start. Here's the one CommonCraft has prepared on Twitter, as posted on YouTube.

No comments: